Monday, July 8, 2013

Caldecott Medal 75th Anniversary

      In honor of the 75th anniversary of the Caldecott Medal, The Little
Book House employees have put together a window display full of Caldecott winners and honorees that will be on display for the rest of the summer.
       While admiring my co-worker's...well...work, I began to think about my favorite Caldecott books. Which lead me to ask some of my co-workers what their favorites are.
  Here are our Caldecott picks!

Rachel:  As manager of the Little Book House, Rachel has read tons of great children's book. She is the Little Book House guru. When I asked what her favorite Caldecott winner/honoree book is, I instantly knew I was being unfair. If you ask a bookseller what their favorite book is you'll never get just one title. But Rachel told me her heart is torn between The Snowy Day by: Ezra Jack Keats and  Umbrella by: Taro Yashima, which she read as a child. Both beautiful, classic tales.

Khahilia: I love Khai's taste in books. She reads the most interesting things! It only seemed fitting that she would choose Anansi the Spider: A Tale from Ashanti by: Gerald McDermott. Anansi is rich in traditional West African designs and full of bold color. It's gorgeous both in the story and the illustrations.

Alexis: Anyone who knows Alexis knows that she has a spunky, outgoing personality. Her passion for books is evident. I wasn't the least bit surprised when she chose Where the Wild Things Are by: Maurice Sendak as one of her favorite Caldecott winners. While the movie may have given Where the Wild Things Are a popularity boost, it doesn't compare to sitting down and reading about Max's adventures.

Rick: Rick and I often talk about our love for New England and nature. So his choice, Make Way for Ducklings by: Robert McCloskey, wasn't surprising either. In fact, after talking to my co-workers, I realize that we all picked books that seem to reflect some part of our personalities.

          As for me, I will always love Click, Clack, Moo, Cows That Type by: Doreen Cronin which tells the story about a group of literate cows that type up a list of demands that the farmer needs to fulfill if he wants the cows to produce anymore milk.
I'm sure my co-workers weren't surprised.


In addition to Caldecott winners/honorees, the Little Book House has stocked up on a great selection of summer reading books. If you don't have time to browse, you can call us at (518) 489-4761 and ask us to put aside a copy of the book you're looking for. If we don't have the book you're looking for in stock, we'd be more than happy to order it for you! It usually only takes a few business days for books to arrive.