Thursday, December 4, 2008

Amazing Peace by Maya Angelou

Amazing Peace: A Christmas Poem by Maya Angelou is my favourite new Christmas book this year as well as my gift of choice! I have loved Maya Angelou and her writing since I first read I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings in middle school. My respect & admiration for her has only increased over the years so I was thrilled when I saw that she was coming out with a kid's book. The illustrators, Steve Johnson, & Lou Fancher, have created such beautiful textured images to match her glorious, resonant words. This is an absolutely gorgeous book with a message of hope & community that reaches across boundaries to our common humanity. The book also comes with a CD of Maya Angelou reading the poem. The best audience for the book would be 5 & up to adult. Let's all "speak the word aloud. Peace."