Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Let's Get Crafty!

From Susan T:

At the suggestion of a customer who shall remain nameless (thanks, SG!), I went to Beauknits, Ltd in Cohoes to learn how to knit. I recently resumed crocheting after a 30-year break, but I needed some instruction to resume knitting again. Thus, the lessons. Barbara at Beauknits is a wonderful teacher and I am almost done with my first hat; I'll finish it at next Saturday's lesson. In the meantime, I've started hat #2 and purchased yarn for an easy-looking sweater.
(Remember that Florida trip where I said I'd save money by not buying books? I lied.) What does this have to do with books, you ask?

Whenever I have a new enthusiasm (Pilates, local economies, crocheting, slow cooker recipes, the Mitford sisters, whatever), I need books about that subject. I might not read them right away, I might just dip into them now and again, but I need to be surrounded by information. On Monday afternoon, we received a book that covers 2 of my enthusiasms: "Pints & Purls: Portable Projects for the Social Knitter", a knitting book with patterns for the person who knits in a bar. Each pattern is rated according to how much attention it requires; the designated driver patterns are the most difficult and the 4-bottle ones require very little skill. (Although
one simple pattern warns, "Never underestimate the difficulty of counting!") I am now the proud owner of this book. Now I just need to find a knitting group that meets in a local pub.....

There are 2 more knitting books on my must-buy list. Erin recommends "The Knitting Answer Book." Published by Storey Press (one of our favorite publishers; they publish interesting, high quality titles), it answers any possible knitting question you might have. Then there is "The Knitter's Companion", recommended by another bookseller as the best knitting reference book out there, and small enough to stash in your knitting bag.

Knitting and books on knitting--who could ask for anything more? Possibly one more thing--one of those gadgets that holds my novel open so I can read while knitting......

Susan

PS--In the next couple of months, Beauknits, Ltd will be offering a class on how to knit 2 socks at the same time on one circular needle. If I am feeling ambitious, I might take that class, and I know just the book to bolster me: "2-at-a-Time Socks" by Melissa Morgan-Oakes. It looks scary, but the best thing about knitting is you can always pull it out and start over.